On Saturday, October 14th we conclude Hispanic Heritage Month by showing our support to our Latinx neighbors with a fundraiser to benefit struggling communities in Puerto Rico and Mexico. 100% of donations will go towards Hurricane Maria Recovery Fund and Ambulante, two groups that work directly with those in need providing humanitarian aid after the hit of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and the earthquakes in Mexico City.
Donations start a $25 that includes a complimentary wine tasting, Latin American snacks from our friends of El Tamarindo Restaurant in Adams Morgan.
- Donations over $250 includes (2) bottles of wine valued at $50+.
- Donations over $500 includes wine class for up to (10) guests at Grand Cata, A Latin Wine Co.
- Raffle of Yoga Classes from our next door neighbors at Yoga Shala
- Art Sale by local artist Veronica Melendez - all proceeds will go towards the fundraiser
The Hurricane Maria Community Relief & Recovery Fund
This fundraising is being organized by Taller Salud, Popular Democracy in Puerto Rico, and Caño Martín Peña in Puerto Rico. Funds will be used to support immediate relief, recovery and equitable rebuilding in Puerto Rico for low-income communities hit hardest by the storm. The fund will support organizations working with these communities.
Ambulante raises urgent needed funds to rebuild hospitals, schools and homes that have been severely affected by this disaster. Ambulante is a grassroots organization which has organized community programs all over Mexico for the past 12 years. Ambulante will receive and distribute 100 percent of the funds directly to local organizations and social initiatives dedicated to helping those most affected by this catastrophe.
- At the end of the campaign, Ambulante will publish the total amount received.
- Ambulante will form a committee of decision-makers and recognized social actors with adequate representation from different affected groups to decide the allocation of funds.
- Decisions of the allocation of funds will be made public and published on the Ambulante web page.
- There will be an external audit of the use of the funds and these results will also be published.
- 100 percent of funds will be used for civil society initiatives and efforts (and not handed over to government or public officials).
- Ambulante will ensure that funds and efforts are distributed across different states, rural and urban areas, and not just Mexico City.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZERS
Grand Cata, Latino Wine Co. founded in 2011, we proudly represent the history and vibrant culture of the Caribbean, Central America and South America, all integrated in a cultural retail space in the heart of the nation's capital. Created by Chilean, Julio Robledo and Boricua, Pedro J. Rodriguez. Visit our flagship latin wine shop in Shaw, Washington, DC.
Curandera Club is an upcoming webspace where A L L women are welcome, a space where women can create communities and become their best selves so they’re able to thrive when they're out doing ~ W O R K ~ in the world. Curandera Club is the passion project of Nicole Capó, proud Boricua and DC resident.
DONATIONS will be taken ONLY online and they start at $25...larger amounts are always welcomed. PLEASE DONATE HERE.